Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cookin' Fresh; Turkey and Tortellini Soup

So, I've been gone a while. I started a new Corporate America job last month and it has made me a really bad blogger. It's actually made me a really lazy cook, because this new job also comes with a 148 mile round trip daily commute... but that is neither here nor there.

Sunday. It's gonna be my back-to-cookin' day. The day with no excuses for pizza or Chinese take-out. The day to bring it all to the table and show my family what I'm made of (to be a bit dramatic).

Today, South-Central Texas saw something VERY unusual falling from the sky. Instead of smoldering ash, it was rain! Now, don't get too excited. Fifteen minutes of rain did nothing to quench the monstrous drought we're experiencing, but it did a lot to rekindle my spirits. It made me long for freshness and newness, which is why I turned to this recipe (which, I found through Pintrest, linking me to The High Heeled Hostess). Just take a look at all of the freshness you can fit in one bowl!

I varied a bit from The High Heeled Hostess' instructions to accommodate for what I had and didn't have in my pantry and fridge.

I mixed 1 pound ground turkey with 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt,  about 8 turns of the grinder black pepper, and two chopped new bulb onions (plus some green onion). I crumbled the seasoned turkey mixture and browned it very well in a pan. Meanwhile, I brought to boil 36 ounces chicken stock plus two cups water. I added two peeled and chopped carrots, a can of drained corn, two cans of diced tomatoes (don't train 'em), and a couple of scoops of fresh minced garlic. I shook three hearty shakes of Cajun seasoning on top of the soupy mixture for spicy measure. When the turkey was finished browning, I added it into the boiling soup, then dropped in five handfuls cheese tortellini. I let it boil for five minutes, reduced the heat, and let it simmer for another 10 minutes until the carrots were tender. 

I sliced up some fresh bread and served this sweet and spicy little soup with a dry red wine. Really, I haven't done anything this good in a long, long time. I hope you'll try it and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment